Time for a look back for March! Highlights (& low points) include:
- March 8- Judging the Spontaneous portion of Odyssey of the Mind: I participated in OM growing up & have a lot of great memories from it. Its really fun to be able to give back now & see what young kids can come up with.
- March 9 – Mission for Maddie: A fitness fundraiser for a local girl. I chose to go to abs & tabata classes. Tabata was tons of squats, boy was I hurting the next day!
- March 14 – car died: definitely a low point for the month.
- March 17 – New car shopping: annoying that I had to do it, but it was nice to spend the day with my dad
- March 18 – TCRC meeting: very interesting! I’m really enjoying being more of a part of the local running community. It really has been a help & motivator for me.
- March 20 – Ladies Night at Confluence – I am really loving being a part of Team Confluence. Working Ladies Night was really fun, I liked playing greeter. Also, it was great to see so many familiar faces.
- March 21 – TCRC dinner: Very fun to socialize with runners in regular clothes.e
- March 22 – McKenna 5k: 3rd 5k of the year, wasn’t feeling super great that day (cold), but I managed to still get a PR. (hopefully I’ll keep getting them). Also had a great time hanging out with the Team. side note: Because I’m just starting back to running this year (& I kindof don’t even remember old PR’s since they’re so old) I’m just counting starting this year.
- March 29 – Beginner Run: 2nd Beginner run of the year. Very excited that these are going to be a planned monthly event, every 2nd Saturday. Its been great to see new runners getting out there & to hear that we’ve been making a difference.
- March 30 -Forks XV: very proud to have finished this race! This is a very old, very talked about race in our area. I’m glad to have finally been a part of it. Super Mega thankful to have found a running buddy who stayed with me the whole way.
- 4- races done in 2014 (10 more minimum to go, 2 halfs scheduled as well as various 5k’s & hopefully other distances too)
- 30- miles run in March, bringing my total for the year to around 100 (need to get going if I really am going to run this year!)
- 15- pounds lost
- non scale victories: pants fitting better, knowing I look better to myself, getting comments & congratulations from other people
- plus many more running friends made
- April 6- Color Run: Super Excited for this!
- a few other local 5k’s, not sure which I will run for sure yet
- 4 weeks left till the Bridge Run- need to stick to my training better this month. In March, I averaged 3 days a week, when it should have been more like 5. Hopefully now that the weather’s better & time is running out, I will get the push I need to keep up better.
The last few months & this summer are all about me trying new, fun things. I’m trying to take on different challenges, & just be more active in general. I’m particularly excited about the Find Your Voice workshop at rukristin.com. It is a free eight week class that is all about embracing, finding and practicing with your storytelling voice. I’m excited to increase some writing skills, start scrapbooking, & see everything else the community is going to be doing. I will be sharing on mainly on twitter (using my main account @helenleeeee), instagram (helenleeeee). You can follow along using the hashtag, #findyourvoice and in the comments at rukristin.com. If you’re interested in joining in, you can also join the facebook group. Don’t forget to share the excitement with all your friends!
I love when new months start. I love a clean slate! I also love the promise of possibility! I always get very ambitious at the start of a month, too. I look for challenges to do to enrich my life. I want to amp up my fitness, fuel my creativity & just have fun. So far, however, I haven’t been able to finish one. I would really like to finish one! But I think I need to be a little bit more realistic. I think, for example, this month I will have to take the weekends as off days for the challenges. Let’s see if by planning on doing this way, I have more luck.
So here are the challenges I’m planning on doing this month:
- Photo Challenge. I would really like to take a picture a day, just for fun. I follow a few different photo challenges (fmsphotoaday, geekphotoaday, iggppc30day & I just found rgrphotoaday). I think as long as I post from one of them each day, I will feel like my goal is accomplished.
- I need to lose weight. I’m planning on doing a 30 day ab challenge (but I’m going to start on Monday). Again, I will probably take the weekends off. I’d like to try Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred again, too.
- Happy Note a Day Challenge. One thing I love about the internet & social networking is finding random people & connecting with them. The Happsters found me, actually, as a part of this blog. I’m so glad we connected, though. Anyway, they are having a happy note a day challenge. I really look forward to this, as I love leaving happy notes anyway!
- Today during my browsing, I found this fun one. Its a 61 day index card a day challenge. Daisy Yellow gives out themes & prompts every week. Should be interesting.
- I’m also excited for the Find Your Voice workshop at the end of the month. It seems like just the thing for me.
- I’d also like to do more link-ups in general. Its partly why I started a blog. I’d see all these people doing cool things & I wanted a way to be a part of it all! Stay posted!
So I started this month with the ambitious idea of writing a blog post a day as part of a blog every day in May challenge. I think I did 2 days & its now been 10 days since I’ve blogged at all! Funny how that works…
But to be fair to myself, I must say that I had gotten those few posts in during the weekday & had planned on changing the challenge to blog every Week day in May. & then I ended up working an hour away all the next week. I always think that if I just had a job with more of a routine, then more areas of my life would be in order (not that they’re very out of order but you see what I’m saying). & I think that there is some truth in that. None of my weeks are the same due to my job (& that’s mostly something I like). But it does make some parts of life a little extra difficult. I think that I will have a set schedule & routine for the next few weeks (maybe all of June & July). I will be working 6am to about 2pm every week day & have weekends off, really an ideal schedule. I hope that is the case (not just cause I want to be able to predict my income). & if I have that schedule, I think that I’ll be able to catch up & (dare I say it?) get ahead with some things. I’ll keep you posted!
Day 2: Educate us on something you know a lot about
In February, serendipity led me to the World Needs More Love Letters. This program is led by the lovely Hannah Brencher & is all about spreading kindness through love letters to strangers. This has changed my life.
Handwritten notes are awesome for so many reasons. They can be shared & kept forever. They can show the reader how much they are loved, not just by the words written, but also by showing that someone took the time to write them.
I highly encourage everyone to go out & write some love letters to strangers! It’s fun & you could change someone’s life!
Again, I invite you to follow along with me as I take part in this blog everyday in May challenge!
I said in my very first post that I liked all of the 30 day challenges that are flying around the web these days. I already participate in 1 photo challenge & I think I’ve decided to add 2 more, just cause they’re too cool not to. Well, I was randomly surfing the web sometime last week & I found this Blog Every Day in May challenge. I really liked the author & decided to give it a try. Honestly, I’m not really sure about it. I think it might be a bit too ambitious, especially with such a new blog. & I know that in reality, I won’t physically be able to blog every day (due to work & other real life commitments) but I think that I can commit to writing 31 posts based on these prompts. So, without futher ado, here is
Day1: The story of your life in 250 words or less (or one paragraph… no one will be counting your words… probably)
I live in the area where I was born & grew up. My brother is about 4 years younger than me. My birthday’s September 5 & I was really excited to go to school when I was little (I started kindergarten on my birthday!). Looking back now, I realize I was pretty geeky all growing up, but I didn’t think I was at the time. I had a group of friends & that was enough for me. High school was not like all those movies that were popular (10 Things I Hate About You, She’s All That, & so on). I know that we had our cliques, but we didn’t have any Mean Girls. All throughout high school & even middle school, I wanted to be an elementary school teacher & planned on it. I went to college 2 hours away from home (a state school but not that far away & in a different telephone area code, those were my main criteria). Anyway, I was at college & started taking some of the teaching classes & I decided it wasn’t actually the field for me. I knew I needed a major but I couldn’t decide. Eventually, I decided on Psychology, mostly because the classes were interesting & I did well in them (not really thinking about my career goal). After graduation, I went back to working as a Pharmacy Tech at my local Rite Aid, where I had been working since high school. This got old pretty quick. After a couple detours, I ended up working with AmeriCorps for 6 months. After that, I basically fell into my current job as a catering & concession manager. I had worked a hot dog stand for 2 years & got a promotion literally by being in the right place at the right time. & that’s where I am now. Working at an arena & living with my wonderful boyfriend (our story has some detours & wrong turns too, & like the quote says, I like our story best)th). Sometimes, I’ve had what seems like a million things going on & sometimes it seems like nothing is happening. Now I’m in a place where I’m trying to truly find my happy pace.
If you want to take a look at the rest of the prompts for this challenge & maybe take part go here: